Clean apple pie with gluten-free crust
Completed in: 1 hour 15 minutes
Power: 8 servings
- 2 cups almond flour (try: Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 whole egg zest of 1 lemon
Apple pie filling
- 3 pounds of hot, crispy baked apples
- 3 tbsp almond flour
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon each of ground cloves, nutmeg, and allspice
- 2 tbsp light, unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Put almond flour and sea salt in a food processor, pulse, then add moist ingredients and peel and mix until a ball of dough forms.
- Press into a 9 “cake plate, cover with a damp towel, and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Peel, core and slice the apples one at a time and drop them into the lemon water so they don’t turn brown.
- Once the apples are soaked, drain the water from the bowl and pat the apples dry with a clean cloth.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the apples, including the remaining tablespoon of lemon juice, and toss them well.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, until the crust is golden and the mixture is bubbly on top.
- Remove before serving and let cool for 1 hour.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 360, Total Fats: 21g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Trans Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 30mg, Sodium: 130mg, Total Carbohydrates: 39g, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 30g, Protein: 8g, Iron: 3 mg